DS does its best to reduce duplicate donors from being created in DonorPerfect.
Before DS creates a new donor in DonorPerfect:
- Is the individual making a purchase/donation logged in as a registered user with a pre-existing donor id? If so, DS will use that existing donor id.
- Does a donor exist in DonorPerfect that has the exact same email address as the email address being used for the current purchase/donation? If so, DS will use that donor id.
NOTE: If DS finds MULTIPLE donors using the same email address, DS will try to find the one with the same first name as the individual making the purchase/donation.
- Does a single donor exist in DonorPerfect that matches the:
- First Name,
- Last Name, and
- Postal Code?
If so, DS will use that donor id.
NOTE: At this step, DS will match records even if the values in DonorPerfect are LONGER than the ones provided by the purchaser/donor. For example:
- "Josh" in DS will match "Joshua" in DonorPerfect
- "Rich" in DS will match "Richard" in DonorPerfect
- "90210" in DS will match "90210-8329" in DonorPerfect
- HOWEVER... "Joe" in DS will NOT match "Joseph" in DonorPerfect as DS cannot recognize name abbreviations with alternate spellings.
If all three cases above fail, DS will create a new donor id and record that donor id back into DS to help you reconcile between both systems.